• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Keep Drop-in Bedliner or Switch to Spray-in Bedliner

T-Rev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor, 2023 Toyota GR86
I ended up with a drop in bed liner too. I don't plan on changing it. I have a tonneau cover and my truck is normally garaged. The amount of moisture it will see is not concerning enough to make me think rust will be a concern, i.e. liner rubbing through paint and moisture being trapped. More concerned about the rust on the frame the truck was delivered with.
Sponsored

SoutheastRangerRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
All, Appreciate all the feedback here. I guess the question I have is more about opportunity cost. Right now, I have the drop-in liner from Ford. This was a dealer order. However, is it worth scrapping the drop-in for a spray-in from Line-X? Its sounds like a resounding "Yes"! But, want to make sure I'm being clear.

If I understand you correctly, you aren't necessarily asking if spray-in liner is better than a drop-in liner (it is, and can personally speak towards Line-X quality), rather, asking if it is worth the extra expense + waste of replacing plastic drop-in liner for a spray-in....

Personally, for me, I would probably wait until time was opportune for me and swap out that drop-in for a spray-in just because I have had such good experience with the spray-ins that I have had over the years and I know they won't collect moisture like a drop-in plastic liner would. Waiting a little while won't hurt anything, and in fact, may be better because that plastic liner will scratch up the paint in some areas which they do anyway when they prep the bed for the spray.

In the end, I would do it if you plan to keep your truck for a long time, and if you haul stuff a lot, such as dirt bikes, project materials, etc... Otherwise, if you trade your trucks fairly frequently, just keep your plastic liner. The primary negative of drop-in liners is that they do have a known history of collecting moisture between the bed and the liner, eventually leading towards rust...

Critical Habitat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger Raptor (Velocity Blue)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I had a drop-in on a 1999 F-150. The hard grooves on the bed were hard on my knees, so I added a 3/4" heavy-duty rubber matt on top, which also helped with impacts from hauling wood. Never noticed any trapped moisture or rust issues and because of the plastic grooves on the liner, it drained well.

docshelby

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Macan Turbo
Occupation
Optometrist
It depends on how long you’re going to keep the truck. I have the drop in liner and it’s fine and a 4 x 8 sheet of drywall does fit in between. you can always do a spray in down the road if you want to. I used my Ford points and the Ford drop in was like 200 bucks. Sorry, couldn’t justify the spray in for a truck I’m not keeping forever.

BriSco

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 GMC Sierra, '24 Ranger 2.7L On order.
Occupation
Retired
Always spray-in liner from Ford. Had them in my last 3 trucks, quality, durability and detailed finish is better since it is done at the assembly line when built. :thumbsup:
Except they aren’t done on the assembly line. They are sent out for bed lining on a batch basis after the trucks are built.

Sponsored
OP
OP

RangerRick1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor
Update: I decided to go with Line-X. I removed the drop-in which was a complete pain. I had to remove all tie-downs. The bolts were a %^$^& to remove and ended up stripping one with a T40. So, I'll need to order 1 bolt and 8 missing screws for the tailgate liner. I took it over to my nearest Line-X installer. Aside from some small overspray and a misalignment of the tailgate, the bed turned out great! I wiped off the overspray with some isopropyl alcohol and re-adjusted the tailgate myself.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XL 4X4
The bolts were a %^$^& to remove and ended up stripping one with a T40.
Yeah, they are loctite in. I had to use T40 impact bit and impact gun to get mine out when I installed my swing case.

twaderobyn

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Admin
My previous Ranger Lariat had a spray in liner that was tough as nails, and my new Ranger STX gets a spray liner this week, super excited. $550 bucks, bulletproof. I’m just afraid with a plastic liner that it will chafe and rub underneath and I won’t be able to stop thinking about that. I use my truck, but I also want it to last, and have that much more trade-in value when the time comes.
Sponsored