• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

2024 Ranger Bed Cap "shims"

Stu x 4

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 2.7L
Have order in for 2024 Lariat Ranger Fx4 2.7L and talking with ARE dealer, the plastic bed rails will not support a topper. Ford engineers are aware.

ARE Dealer said ARE toppers now have a bracket shim for the bed rail issue, so all new toppers will come with that. The Load Reinforcement brackets will still need to be needed as noted on this forum. I would say that service departments are charging for that, Ford dealer knew I was going to put a topper on so I've alreay asked sales guy to make sure that he includes that in the truck deal.

Placed order for vehicle 5/3 and still don't have a build date yet...looks like I'm waiting on allowcation.

ARE CX Revo, bed rug and Yakima rails in my future too...will post picks somewhere down the line. Like most folks, now that I have an order in, I want it yesterday!
Sponsored

John E Davies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor Velocity Blue (fastest color)
Occupation
Retired aircraft tech
Can you please provide a link to some actual documentation from FORD that says that the plastic rail caps are not able to support the load of a topper? This is the first I have heard of it!

This did not affect the 5G trucks, see this thread, Wes Siler’s post #14:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bed-rail-weight-limit.25636/

I have a Go Fast Campers Topper on order, and they assured me in an email that they mount them directly on top of the plastic rails. As an ex A&P tech, that sounds like a very fishy installation, but I believe that it is standard practice.

Unless there is some official documentation from Ford, I am calling this issue to be bogus.

Thanks!

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:
OP
OP

Stu x 4

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then there is this...see pic.

When the dealer first told me about this, I went back to dealership to take a gander. Took pic of 24 Ranger, can't speak to the 5G.

You got me courious. When the dealer opens up on Monday I'll ask. For now, I'll belive my eyes and the dealer.

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger Bed Cap "shims" 1719038076056-2m

Attachments

Richie

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger Raptor, 21 X5 M50i
I currently have a soft topper installed directly over the bed rail caps.
I have an Alu-cab canopy on order and they have informed me that the canopy will come with replacement bed rail caps that need to be installed before the canopy can be mounted. I will share photos after installation.

dfritz

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT
I've been thinking on this issue so I can make a rack and some tube bed rail protectors and tie offs. What I've seen is some commercial units bolt into the sides and not rest on top. The actual removable covers reveal some unfortunate measurements for inserting a shim and securing it or using it for support. A few remove the plastic molding completely and mount directly on the bed rail. Another factor is the overall build of the bed. If you've ever seen trucks with cracks in the side of the bed behind the cab from tool boxes or racks, stand by. I think the new Ranger is going to be particularly prone to spreading and cracks.

Sponsored

John E Davies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired aircraft tech
This is obviously a non structural, purely decorative cap, it is 98% air underneath. There need to be three steel shims about 7/8” tall on each rail, down in those pockets to support the load. Or remove the plastic entirely. If the latter, I will be REALLY pissed, because I just had a Line-X coating installed and I specifically asked for him to remove the caps first, and he said “We never do that, we just spray up under them.”

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger Bed Cap "shims" IMG_6998

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger Bed Cap "shims" IMG_6996

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger Bed Cap "shims" IMG_6993

Last edited:

GLW

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
I ordered and installed Retrax Pro XR bed cover. In the kit came four brackets that supports the cover above the plastic. Worked well.

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger Bed Cap "shims" IMG_4524

John E Davies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired aircraft tech
Finally found mention of “spacers”, in the Smartcap instructions. They also use brackets in the corners that bolt to the bed.

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger Bed Cap "shims" IMG_6758

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger Bed Cap "shims" IMG_6759

ARB for their canopies is VERY adamant about removing the moldings entirely. I wonder how the Leer ones are mounted?

I mocked up some spacers to see how tall they would need to be, I come up with a little under 0.827”. I might try making some from 1.5” diameter acetyl rod on my mini lathe. Two discs dropped into each cavity should stay in place by gravity and fill up the spot.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger Bed Cap "shims" IMG_7004

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger Bed Cap "shims" IMG_7003

Ford Ranger 2024 Ranger Bed Cap "shims" IMG_7002

Last edited:

Helena-disappointed

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger XL
Then there is this...see pic.

When the dealer first told me about this, I went back to dealership to take a gander. Took pic of 24 Ranger, can't speak to the 5G.

You got me courious. When the dealer opens up on Monday I'll ask. For now, I'll belive my eyes and the dealer.

1719038076056-2m.jpg
When I called my local Helena MT topper dealer on 7-1-24 to find out about toppers for my new 2024 Ranger XL 4x4, he said he can't sell them because Rangers can't have > greater than 88 lbs on the bed rails without a $169 (part only) retrofit of "J" brackets. I called my local Ford dealer, & its parts guy said I need to order 2 of them. I am not sure that's correct. Installation on Ford's website seems to be an addl $192. This was not disclosed in any Ford literature I saw about Rangers, & is not stated in the owners' manual or anywhere but this forum. How can Ford sell a midsize pickup truck without one of the most basic fxns- capability of adding a topper w/o expensive modifications- unless it discloses this to potential buyers?

OP
OP

Stu x 4

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And to think...even if you did not want a topper and were at an event, tailgating with people sitting on the rails, it would exceed the load capabilities of the bed/plastic covers with only one person. :>(
Sponsored