• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Some thoughts on the Ranger XLT FX4, 2.3, 700 miles and 2 months in

dfritz

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT
First off, I own and owned a number of Ford trucks, and manage others- F-100s, F-150s, F-250s, F-350s, F-450, and F-550s model years from the late 40's to 2000s.

This is my 2nd Ranger, or 3rd if you count the later Courier versions. All of these are work trucks, not runabouts or leisure/recreation units, except this new Ranger. Obviously, I'm an old guy, and I don't consider myself an expert on all things Ford, or trucks.

I got the Ranger in early April, and I have to say I really like it, even though I haven't put a lot of miles on it. It's my favorite so far, and I think it's the perfect truck for me as a semi-retired guy who needs more than a "cruck", like the Maverick. It does however have some short comings that will affect those who have expectations that may be out of line with the actual build.

Most amazing- I just got 27 MPG on a tank of gas, (odometer and gas pump calc)on rural Colorado driving, 100 degree weather, ac on, with a 500 lb load. Since I drove it off the lot, I'm just over a 24 mpg average overall.

I'm liking the cruise control, lane keeping, ect. I turn the speed limit feature on when I'm in the areas with speed traps, because I've got a bit of a lead foot and I had a bit of trouble at first adjusting to the new rig and keeping remotely close to the speed limit.

It's adequately fast in Normal Mode, really soft in Eco, and a bit of a surprise in Sport. You can't really feel much change in ride or performance with a few hundred pounds of load, 700+ is the most I've had in it so far, not much drop off in acceleration or handling. The transmission is really cool. If the 4wd drivetrain is as good as my previous Ranger, I would assume it will be good in snow, but I'll have to wait a few more months to find out.

It's super comfortable. The handling/cornering is flat, predictable with no leaning, but the steering feels a bit soft. Emergency stops are fast, the brake feels good, I had a pedestrian step out between two cars parked on the street, not sure if it was me or the truck, but together we stopped really really fast. The steering wheel controls are very good, but the dash and center display are quirky and are taking way too much attention to learn while driving ( did I already mention I'm old? Not Biden old, but old). The camera system is great to get into our tight garage, or backing up to loading docks. I really love the trip odometer and MPG display.

I haven't gotten to use all the other features like parking and trailering or the off-road modes yet.

What's lacking:

I'm really glad I don't need this truck for work. It's got the thinnest steel I've ever seen in a pick up bed, and the method of construction for assembling the sides and front wall of the bed end seem exceptionally sketchy. The tailgate is nice to open and close, but I can see it getting easily damaged loading heavy items. I think add-ons like lumber racks, cross bed tool boxes, etc are going to bust the bed up over time. I actually repair pickup beds on just about every make of truck from damage caused poorly designed racks or tool box installations, and I have little faith the Ranger would hold up compared to what's out there.

I would also extend similar concerns to the frame, again, the lightest steel I've ever seen on a truck. Those of you who think this is going to be an off road beast may have some unpleasant surprises at alignment time when you are referred to a frame straightening shop. I think it's a bit of a pavement queen you can take to the garden center, and still be ok off-road as long as you aren't pretending you're driving in the Baja 500.

I'd also suggest to new owners to hedge your bet by upping the Ford warranty a bit more than you have on previous purchases if you're planning on keeping it a few years past factory warranty. I think costs for even moderate repairs are going to greatly exceed the extended warranty price.
Sponsored

fordtrks4ever

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Retired
What I got out of the write up was that Doug was giving his honest opinion after all the different trucks he has owned. I do agree it is not a F150 or Super Duty I have owned both. It is a mid size truck and works best if used as and for what it is.

OP
OP

dfritz

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT
To be sure, I'm going to take the Ranger off-road and on some Jeep trails. I bought it to do some light work for the homeplace, take fishing, and have a nice ride. Later this summer, I'm going to do Black Bear Pass. The Ranger is staying home for that.

Sponsored

richman555

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have a v6 Ranger on order and this will be my first Ford. I appreciate your review especially of the bed. I have read about the "Jframe" installations for any toppers over 200lbs and it made me wonder about its strength in the box. One reason I chose the Ranger was comfort and I don't expect my hauling needs to be too crazy. I may tow a small boat at the shore someday in my future.

mpcraven

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 9-5 Aero, 2014 Evora
Occupation
Engineer
...extend similar concerns to the frame, again, the lightest steel I've ever seen on a truck. ...
There is no 'light steel' and I think the OP is using the vernacular for thin steel (sometimes called light gauge). Some of these steel alloys are amazingly hard after all the fabrication and hardening processes. The hardness of alloys can also be subjectively observed... my opinion after I've drilled into them. The mechanical engineers have a measurement called iirc 'torsional stiffness' for the frame and body 'strength.' Steel structures can be light in a strength to weight ratio and in the ingenuity of the structural design. My opinion of Ford is... I ordered a Ranger.

RangerHunt27

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
First off, I own and owned a number of Ford trucks, and manage others- F-100s, F-150s, F-250s, F-350s, F-450, and F-550s model years from the late 40's to 2000s.

This is my 2nd Ranger, or 3rd if you count the later Courier versions. All of these are work trucks, not runabouts or leisure/recreation units, except this new Ranger. Obviously, I'm an old guy, and I don't consider myself an expert on all things Ford, or trucks.

I got the Ranger in early April, and I have to say I really like it, even though I haven't put a lot of miles on it. It's my favorite so far, and I think it's the perfect truck for me as a semi-retired guy who needs more than a "cruck", like the Maverick. It does however have some short comings that will affect those who have expectations that may be out of line with the actual build.

Most amazing- I just got 27 MPG on a tank of gas, (odometer and gas pump calc)on rural Colorado driving, 100 degree weather, ac on, with a 500 lb load. Since I drove it off the lot, I'm just over a 24 mpg average overall.

I'm liking the cruise control, lane keeping, ect. I turn the speed limit feature on when I'm in the areas with speed traps, because I've got a bit of a lead foot and I had a bit of trouble at first adjusting to the new rig and keeping remotely close to the speed limit.

It's adequately fast in Normal Mode, really soft in Eco, and a bit of a surprise in Sport. You can't really feel much change in ride or performance with a few hundred pounds of load, 700+ is the most I've had in it so far, not much drop off in acceleration or handling. The transmission is really cool. If the 4wd drivetrain is as good as my previous Ranger, I would assume it will be good in snow, but I'll have to wait a few more months to find out.

It's super comfortable. The handling/cornering is flat, predictable with no leaning, but the steering feels a bit soft. Emergency stops are fast, the brake feels good, I had a pedestrian step out between two cars parked on the street, not sure if it was me or the truck, but together we stopped really really fast. The steering wheel controls are very good, but the dash and center display are quirky and are taking way too much attention to learn while driving ( did I already mention I'm old? Not Biden old, but old). The camera system is great to get into our tight garage, or backing up to loading docks. I really love the trip odometer and MPG display.

I haven't gotten to use all the other features like parking and trailering or the off-road modes yet.

What's lacking:

I'm really glad I don't need this truck for work. It's got the thinnest steel I've ever seen in a pick up bed, and the method of construction for assembling the sides and front wall of the bed end seem exceptionally sketchy. The tailgate is nice to open and close, but I can see it getting easily damaged loading heavy items. I think add-ons like lumber racks, cross bed tool boxes, etc are going to bust the bed up over time. I actually repair pickup beds on just about every make of truck from damage caused poorly designed racks or tool box installations, and I have little faith the Ranger would hold up compared to what's out there.

I would also extend similar concerns to the frame, again, the lightest steel I've ever seen on a truck. Those of you who think this is going to be an off road beast may have some unpleasant surprises at alignment time when you are referred to a frame straightening shop. I think it's a bit of a pavement queen you can take to the garden center, and still be ok off-road as long as you aren't pretending you're driving in the Baja 500.

I'd also suggest to new owners to hedge your bet by upping the Ford warranty a bit more than you have on previous purchases if you're planning on keeping it a few years past factory warranty. I think costs for even moderate repairs are going to greatly exceed the extended warranty price.
Yes - I also purchased and owned previous trucks, Ford, Dodge etc.. My last one was a Ford F250SD. Since I am retired, I decided to down grade.
Your perception and evaluation of the New 2024 Ranger is right on target. If you are purchasing this vehicle for off-road or work hauler, its not for you. The Raptor model is the off-road version since it was design for what it stands. One obvious difference is Towing: approx. 3500lbs (Raptor) compare to 7500-8000 for the standard Ranger. Suspension design is a big part of it. yes, keeping the weight down of the Ranger has its own issue or just needed to be done due to cost ;) and overall design.

However, I agreed, its a good everyday truck, (1800 miles) easy to drive and very comfortable with plenty of room. My only regret is I didn't ordered the larger engine, 2.7. Will see as time goes on or Ford decides to upgrade or modify based on lots of customer inputs. If Ford in the future decides to modified features on the standard Ranger or add a V6, I am at the door with 💸 Up to now I am satisfied with the New 2024 Ford Ranger Lariat.

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes - I also purchased and owned previous trucks, Ford, Dodge etc.. My last one was a Ford F250SD. Since I am retired, I decided to down grade.
Your perception and evaluation of the New 2024 Ranger is right on target. If you are purchasing this vehicle for off-road or work hauler, its not for you. The Raptor model is the off-road version since it was design for what it stands. One obvious difference is Towing: approx. 3500lbs (Raptor) compare to 7500-8000 for the standard Ranger.
The ranger raptor's max towing is 5510, not 3500.

https://www.vdm.ford.com/content/da.../towing/pdf/2024-Ford-Ranger-Towing-Guide.pdf

And yes while the raptor is much more well suited for baja and fast driving off road with the live valve shocks & watts-link, if you're doing slow off roading or crawling the only big difference is the front locker. The lower (non raptor) trims are very capable offroaders when you add FX4 if you aren't planning to hoon it offroad or do very technical trails.

Last edited:

jeffers

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger FX4, Mk7 GTI
Wow as a potential buyer who wants to go offroad, this was a damming write up.
I've seen the Aussies do some pretty crazy stuff with their modified Rangers. I remember when the original Raptor first came out people though it was a trophy truck. Lots of youtube video of people catching major air in them and finding out they bent the frame. High speed bashing a truck off road is going to be hard on it, some trucks might hold up better than others.

Sponsored

jeffers

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger FX4, Mk7 GTI
The ranger raptor's max towing is 5510, not 3500.

https://www.vdm.ford.com/content/da.../towing/pdf/2024-Ford-Ranger-Towing-Guide.pdf

And yes while the raptor is much more well suited for baja and fast driving off road with the live valve shocks & watts-link, if you're doing slow off roading or crawling the only big difference is the front locker. The lower (non raptor) trims are very capable offroaders when you add FX4 if you aren't planning to hoon it offroad or do very technical trails.
I need to find a close by Raptor guy that's swapping their factory wheels and tires and put them on my FX4. The main advantage for regular off-roading I think is the 33" K02's or 3's whichever it comes with. I would say for overlanding, where the truck is going to be weighted down, the FX4 with 33" K03's is probably better.

DavefromCA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 6MT (for now)
I've seen the Aussies do some pretty crazy stuff with their modified Rangers. I remember when the original Raptor first came out people though it was a trophy truck. Lots of youtube video of people catching major air in them and finding out they bent the frame. High speed bashing a truck off road is going to be hard on it, some trucks might hold up better than others.
I have no intention of high speed bashing, I have rc cars for that. I’m guessing lower speed stuff is fine.

PhoenixRanger

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Supercab, Bronco 2 dr. OB/AMB 2.7L
Your perception and evaluation of the New 2024 Ranger is right on target. If you are purchasing this vehicle for off-road or work hauler, its not for you. The Raptor model is the off-road version since it was design for what it stands. One obvious difference is Towing: approx. 3500lbs (Raptor) compare to 7500-8000 for the standard Ranger. Suspension design is a big part of it. yes, keeping the weight down of the Ranger has its own issue or just needed to be done due to cost ;) and overall design.

However, I agreed, its a good everyday truck, (1800 miles) easy to drive and very comfortable with plenty of room. My only regret is I didn't ordered the larger engine, 2.7. Will see as time goes on or Ford decides to upgrade or modify based on lots of customer inputs. If Ford in the future decides to modified features on the standard Ranger or add a V6, I am at the door with 💸 Up to now I am satisfied with the New 2024 Ford Ranger Lariat.
The Ranger CAN be ordered with the 2.7L. In fact, mine is on order with a build-date in August. After having both the 2.3 and 2.7 in Broncos, the 2.7 is the clear winner in all categories (in my opinion, of course). Aside from more HP and torque, it also has direct and port Injection.
Sponsored